Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Salt Dough Flower Magnets

Back in March when I was making my Salt Dough Easter Egg Garland, I had a little leftover dough and decided I would attempt to make a little flower to see how it held up to baking. It turned out really cute and now I wish I had made more than one! But there is always more salt dough in my future.....



What You Need:
  • Flour, Salt, Water
  • Acrylic Paint
  • Glue
  • Magnet
  • Mod Podge or Sealer
How To Make It:
  • Make salt dough: mix 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of salt, and approximately 1 cup of water
  • To form each petal, make a small ball of dough and press down with thumb to form a flattened oval. Next take one end of the oval and pinch ends together to form petal shape.
  • Gather the individual petals into a circle and place another small ball of dough in the middle. Press down gently to form center of flower.
  • Place flower on cookie sheet and bake at 200 degrees for several hours until dough is hard and dry.
  • Allow to cool completely.
  • Paint with acrylic paint as desired.
  • Mod Podge to seal paint and glue magnet on back.
The lone flower in the back of all the Easter Eggs
Finished flower stuck on the fridge
Salt dough is always great to use when crafting with kids. They could paint these flowers to make a special gift for Mom or Grandma for Mother's Day.

Places I'm Partying:




7 comments:

  1. Cute idea! Found you on Ny Melrose Family. I made ornaments out of salt dough with my kids for Christmas but hadn't thought about doing them for mother's day!

    Amber
    recipeswelove.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. itching to try salt dough! one day when I can spare a few hours to watch the oven! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for linking up over at The Winthrop chronicles! I'm now following via bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff. I love this craft idea. Thanks for sharing it. I've wanted the recipe for salt dough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a neat idea. We have fathers' day coming up and their dad loves magnets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute is that?!?!? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute. I love it as a magnet. Thanks so much for sharing at whimsy Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete